|Previous February 2023 Next|
Too often, the efforts of school board members go unrecognized. School board members represent the views and priorities of our community in the complex system of maintaining and running a public school. They also reinforce the principle of local control over public education, which is an important, highly valued aspect of education in Michigan.
The school board’s main goal is to support student achievement. To achieve that goal, the board focuses on the following needs:
- Creating a vision for what parents and citizens want their school district to become and how to make student achievement the top priority.
- Setting standards for what students must learn and be able to do.
- Assessing whether schools achieve their goals and whether students are learning.
- Accounting for the outcomes of decisions and by tracking progress and reporting results.
- Aligning the use of the district’s human and financial resources.
- Creating a safe and orderly climate where students can learn and teachers can teach.
- Collaborating to solve common problems and to support common successes.
- Focusing on continuous improvement by questioning, examining, revising, refining and revisiting issues related to student achievement.
Even though we are making a special effort during January to show appreciation for our school board members, we recognize their contributions reflect a year-round effort on their part. No matter what challenges lie ahead for our district in 2023, our school board members will continue to govern to improve student achievement and provide exceptional education for all our community’s children.
The individuals serving our West Branch-Rose City Area School District are:
Scott Kartes, with 8 years of service;
Heather Kearns, Gary Miller, and Phil Stephens each with 4 years of service;
Alan Withers and Peggy Zettle each with 2 years of service;
and newly elected member, Debra Abraham.
♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
Gail Hughey, Superintendent
West Branch-Rose City Area Schools
PO Box 308
West Branch, MI 48661
Phone: (989) 343-2000